What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy (PT) is recommended for children who have been injured or have movement problems due to an injury, illness or disability. PT’s are able to help strengthen muscles, gain range of motion, and improve balance and coordination; with the goal of improving mobility and function. Because we specialize in working with children from birth to 18 years of age, therapy is incorporated into play utilizing toys such as: therapy balls, various swings, and riding toys. Our goal is to help each child reach his or her fullest potential in activities at school, home, and in the community. If a child is unable to crawl or walk on their own, we can help determine what type of adapted equipment, walker or crutches will help them improve their mobility.
Why is Physical Therapy?
Children may benefit from physical therapy for a variety of reasons such as:
- My son isn’t able to keep up with his peers on the playground. He’s slower than others and often trips.
- After orthopedic bracing/surgery for club feet and a dislocated hip, my son needs help to strengthen his legs and learn how to move.
- My 3 month old daughter tilts her head to the left. At first I thought it was cute, now I’m concerned that she’s not able to look in other directions, and she’s getting a flat head.
- Our son just got diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Who can help him?
- After the car accident, my daughter needs to relearn how to move.
- No diagnosis has been given, but our daughter has been behind in reaching her 1st year developmental milestones.
- After chemotherapy, our son is really weak. Both he and I need to learn how to help him regain his strength.
- I’m concerned about my daughter’s low endurance and overall fitness level.
Where do you turn when your child is behind in meeting developmental milestones; loses their ability to move easily; or receives a diagnosis with long-term developmental implications?
Physical therapists are here to help you and your child through direct intervention and home programming. Partnering with you, our goal is to help your child reach their optimal potential to explore their environment through movement, one step at a time.
Our physical therapists develop treatment sessions that meet the needs of each child, and include a variety of strengthening, stretching, coordination, and balance activities. Physical therapy is hard work yet fun at Pediatric Therapy Services!